What To Do When Someone Dies

Funeral Directors

The loss of a friend or family member is a tough and often a traumatic time. While trying to deal with this lost it can often be difficult to ensure that your loved one is cared for correctly. This is a practical list of things to consider and what should ideally be carried out after the death of someone.


Arrange For Them To Be Taken Into the Care of A Funeral Director


The department of Health regulations advised that a deceased person's body should be moved as soon as possible. Funeral directors in Australia operates 24 hours and can be contacted to take your loved one into their care.


The funeral company can only take the deceased into their care after the doctor signs and issued a certificate that confirms the death, it is generally called a Doctor's Certificate of Cause of Death. A Melbourne funeral director will arrange for a pickup of the deceased and for the body to be properly cared for. They will then be able to process all necessary funeral arrangements such as registering the death, newspaper notices, flower and religious services. If a funeral director is not involved with the funeral arrangements, the person who manages the final arrangements for the deceased is responsible for registering the death.


The funeral director will work with you to make sure that all the necessary arrangements have been made.


For help Choosing A Melbourne Funeral Director read this article.


Who to Notify


Different Government, business and private organisation will need to be notified in the event of a person's death. We have included a short list who to notify:


  • Family and Friends
  • Family Lawyer or State Executor 
  • Banks
  • Medicare 
  • Centrelink
  • Social Media Accounts
  • Australia Post
  • Internet and Phone Providers
  • Other Regular Paid Services the Deceased May Use; paid TV provider, Gardener, House Cleaner, etc.


The Australian Department of Human Resources has a full PDF checklist of who to notify in the event of someone's death, you can view it here.



Things To Consider When Arranging A Funeral


WILL - Check if they have directions for funeral arrangements. If there is no will, look for the next-of-kin to provide personal details of the deceased, so that the death certificate can be registered. If there is no person willing to take responsibility, the funeral may be arranged through the government contractor. Australian Law says that the executor will take possession and custody of the body from the moment of death until it is buried or cremated.


  • Preferences - Find out if the deceased have a preference for where to hold the service.
  • Funeral Insurance - Find out if the deceased has made any pay for their funeral or a pre-paid funeral.
  • Prepaid Burial Plot - Check if the person has a pre-paid burial plot.
  • Superannuation - Find out if there's any sickness, accident, life, superannuation or private health insurance policies which may make a payment for the funeral.
  • Club - Find our if they belong to any club, pensioner association or trade union which may entitle them to a funeral benefit.


Seeking Help After Someone Dies


The following are a list of not-for-profit and government organisations that you can contact for help:


  • Grief - Lifeline or the National Association for Loss and Grief can help you during the grieving period. Their social works can provide you with the right advice and if needed refer you to a grief counsellor. also Headspace can help those dealing with depression, anxiety and stress.
  • Loneliness - Rotary or Apex, are some organisations who can help you develop a new interest. They will help you to value your assistance as a volunteer and to join some activities and outings. Solace Australia also provides help support for people who have lost their partner.
  • Housing - Within you local community and the local council, there will be a number of organisations the will be able to offer free help for your house or garden.
  • Finances - Financial Counselling Australia consists of expert financial counsellors that can help you and provide more information during this financial difficulties.